Wednesday 2 June 2010

Red onion marmalade

I think most of us have that "back up dish", that when you don't fancy anything else (but you know you have to eat) "that" dish will Always work. A savour, that does the trick, no matter the weather or the mood. The safe bet dish.
Mine is a bacon buttie.
It all started when I was pregnant with our youngest daugther Maya. I had morning sickness for about a week in the first trimester (lucky, I know..) and the only thing I could eat was lemons and bacon butties, made with baguette (not sliced bread) and lots of ketchup.
This is still something i have a weak spot for. How ever, a couple of months ago when I was recovering from a weeks illness,and hadn't eaten for days. I had a vision of a posher, more decadent bacon buttie, and so the gourmet version was born. Ciabatta with crispy bacon, brie and red onion marmalade. Yum, yum!!

Red onion marmalade
  • 1kg red onions
  • 50g butter
  • 50g brown sugar
  • 100ml sherry vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
Cut the onions in half, and slice thinly.
Melt the butter in a pan and add the onions and the sugar. Salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer on a low heat for about 40 min.
Add the vinegar and simmer for a further 30 min.
Set aside to cool, store in glass jars for up to 3 months.

The marmalade is also delicious dolloped over piping hot sausages. And for a "Christmassy" twist, I add a couple of cloves to simmer with the rest of the ingredients.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment